Monday, August 12, 2013

Negative Effect of Wearing Tight Socks

I read this and I believe it will be  of help to us. When you take off a pair of socks and notice sock band left on your leg or ankle, you should be careful. This is an obvious sign that your socks are too tight.
While you want your socks to fit well and not slip or bunch down inside the shoes, you have to be careful not to make it too tight.
There are some negative effects to this.

Lack of blood circulation
It can lead to circulatory issues, or pain in the legs and ankles. There is a lack of blood circulation, which can make varicose veins worse or more likely to occur. This brings a heavy feeling in the legs or feet and swelling of the ankles and legs.

Edema
It can cause edema, which is a swelling of the limbs due to fluid accumulation. Peripheral edema, characterized by swelling of the legs and feet, is the most common form of edema. With edema, the fluid gathers under the skin in spaces found in the tissues. Oftentimes, this can affect only the feet; at other times, it can move up the ankle and the calf right up to the thigh.

This can cause numbness in the foot and should never be taken lightly, particularly when it is not associated with sitting or standing in one position for too long.
According to Medline Plus, there are several medical causes for this type of numbness. One of the causes is wearing too tight socks.

Athlete’s foot
Wearing extremely tight-fitting shoes and socks is the most prominent reason of causing athlete’s foot. The fungi causing athlete’s foot are relatively harmless until and unless they have favourable conditions. They thrive only in moist and warm environment. When you have socks on for a longer time, your feet create these favourable conditions automatically and it results in fungal growth. As the fungus grows, the skin produces more cells pushing the older cells further. This gives the feet a scaly appearance. Similarly, wearing wet shoes, plastic shoes or even wet socks can result in fungal infection between the toes.

In a recent study in the British Journal of Dermatology as contained in healthninjas.com, as well as a study done at Washington University, researchers have discovered that many children have been scarred by wearing tight socks even just once. These “sock-band” lines are initially red markings that happen when the elastic band is too tight around the child’s ankle or leg. While the redness will go away in a few hours, the raised welt that is left can be permanent, even after just a few hours of wearing socks that are too tight.

The study conducted by Washington University also found a small association with the continual usage of tight socks and the banding being associated with some limb defects, but they do note that this potential link needs further study. Because this has only recently been noticed by parents, doctors and researchers; no one yet knows if the welts will last the entire life of the child, or if there are any other negative effects, other than just cosmetic ones.
When children wear the wrong socks
Oftentimes, parents do not know the actual size of their child’s feet, thinking their feet are smaller than they really are. You need to consider the height and width of the foot as well, especially if you have a larger size baby! A professional can measure your child’s feet and even if they are too young to wear shoes, you will at least know what size sock to purchase.

Wear socks made of natural materials, such as 100 percent cotton and avoid socks made from synthetic materials.
Make sure socks don’t leave those classic red sock marks on the legs or ankles, and if they do, give the socks a stretch so the band is more forgiving on feet and ankles. Not only will blood circulation increase in your legs and feet, there will be an overall comfort. You wouldn't put a rubber band on your wrist and then leave it there to dig into your skin, would you?

Doctors recommend that you buy socks that are made for the size of the child’s feet or perhaps a little bigger and wash them before wearing. This is recommended so that shrinkage will occur immediately and the parent will be able to tell within five minutes if the socks are too tight. If after five minutes there are marks on the child’s ankles or legs, immediately remove the socks and either stretch them out until they are no longer tight, or change the socks to a larger pair.

12 comments:

  1. I have learned so much from your blog. You cover topics that no one else is talking about, and in incredible depth at that. I just wanted to say a quick 'thanks' for the time and effort you put into writing!

    Edema Socks

    ReplyDelete
  2. What has tight socks got to do with athletes foot, in comparison to too loose? From the paragraph, I do not see any link between the size of sock and athletes foot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought socks from china through a magizine an when i got they were tight after wearing them for couple hours my feet were soar an felt tierd. So i dont wear them any more fill alot better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned this the hard way. I once left put socks on Friday morning, went to work, went partying afterward, and didn't change my socks until Sunday morning and my legs had swollen up and gotten tender. I had very clearly cut off the venous blood flow back up towards the upper half of my body and those socks were way too tight. Be careful with that sort of thing everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried every type of sock out there and this still happens. I am 45 yo and remain very athletic and my blood pressure is still good at 111/67, but no matter what each day when I sit at my desk my legs and feet go numb after 10-15 minutes. The only thing that I have found that helps is to remove my socks and shoes - I wear loose slippers, but it looks a bit odd in an office environment. That is the least of my concerns as I still worry about underlying health issues (including heart). I have been to my doctor several times about this and they think that it is a pinched nerve or disk problems but I still have complete range of movement (can bend back, side-to-side or easily reach beyond my toes) and an MRI also showed nothing. Any similar experiences???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this when I wear socks particularly since having children. I've been told its a lower back problem but I still find the numbness rather worrying as it's both sides. I've had it a few years and have now worked out that's water bottle helps on the back. Also the best this that helped was leaving my office job! I was also getting a numb face from staring at the screen at the wrong height. This stopped immediately after leaving!

      Delete
  6. Hello GJB
    I read your comment and I can understand what you are really going through. Though no similar experience, but I make a research on that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello GJB,
    I work in an office environment, am a very athletic 54 year old male, and have similar issues to you. My feet tingle then go numb from too tight of socks. I've found if my chair is putting pressure on the back of my leg, lower hamstring area, it exacerbates the problem. I've found relief by ajdusting my office chair, lowering it and tilting it forward. My feet get so bad sometimes it drives me nuts. I have people visit me in my office so I can't take my socks and shoes off. My only refief as been to literally take sissors and cut the back of my socks with about a 4 inch cut and stop the band from squeezing my calf. Some socks are so bad, that even after I cut them, they are too tight around the very front of my ankle (top of my foot area). I agree with you taking off my shoes and sock cures the immediate issues and I do it at home often. I'd love to find a long-term solution.

    I've noticed women in an office environment don't wear socks with their dress shoes . . . I'm contemplating starting a new trend for Men! :)

    Good luck!
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that thanks for the valuabe information and insights you have so provided here. selling socks

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you create a socks business, you have to study the trends. Some people want classic socks; others just need some funny, funky models. The idea here is to know what people need and act in that regard. Focusing on a specific color may not seem like a good idea at first, but it’s certainly going to pay off as long as you know what you are doing. https://wholesalesocksbulk.com/start-socks-business-complete-guideline/

    ReplyDelete
  10. This article is an appealing wealth of informative data that is interesting and well-written. I commend your hard work on this and thank you for this information. You’ve got what it takes to get attention. personalized fuzzy socks

    ReplyDelete